Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

02 October 2008

Doctor's Appointment

I had another regularly scheduled doctor's appointment today. Everything looked good and it was short and sweet...although that meant almost two hours of driving for a 5 minutes appointment. Found out that I've done a pretty good job with my weight. I've only gained about 10 lbs. And it was this time last pregnancy that I started to retain water really bad, shot up 17lbs in a month and started to look like a walking water balloon. So far, no major weight gain and no swelling. I'm happily still wearing my wedding ring. WOOHOO. I'm not even going to try and say I'll get through the whole pregnancy with it on. I'd hate to disappoint myself like that. I'm just happy I can still wear it.

Andrew was surprisingly good. I try to schedule my appointments so that Clayton can go and help corral the kid. No such luck this time around. But I told Andrew if he was good he'd get a surprise afterward. I was actually stunned when he sat in the chair in the exam room pretty much the whole time and didn't get into too much. Doctors' offices are just so much fun to play around in. And whose crazy idea is it to not have a kids' play area in an OB/GYN office? There are so many of us that end up having to take our kids with us that it would only make sense to give them something to do than destroy everything. My doc just moved to a new office a year or so ago and it's pretty posh. The waiting room looks more like a spa than a doctor's office. Nothing like making mom's blood pressure go up having to keep kids from knocking over lamps or knocking pictures off the wall.

I'm not really looking forward to the next appointment...The dreaded blood glucose test. Seriously, how do they cram 50 grams of glucose (sugar) into a 10 oz. drink? My levels all came back fine last time so I'm not too worried this time around either.

2 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

You've never had to do the 3-hour test, have you? A better question is how do they cram all of THAT glucose into the drink. It's like drinking carbonated syrup. YUCK!! Glad things are going well for you.

Heidi said...

Good to hear that everything is going well. I envy the wedding ring thing. I haven't been able to wear mine in months already. And that's great that Andrew cooperated!!! Nothing worse than having to take the kids. At least this visit wasn't a pelvic exam one (I'm assuming, anyway....)