Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

15 October 2008

The Rat Pack

Clayton and I have season tickets to Broadway in Arizona at Gammage Theater. It's not super expensive since we get balcony tickets and it pretty well guarantees a date night at least every other month or so. Last night we went to see "The Rat Pack: Live at the Sands". It was a really good show for the most part. I love music from that era and so does Clayton. The first act was awesome. The second act left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It was basically "Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., and Dean Martin" stumbling drunk all over the stage. As we were walking to the car, I told Clayton that I'm glad we just saw a Broadway show and not an actual concert. If I had paid top dollar (which I'm sure tickets to see The Rat Pack were back in the day), and the performers were out on the stage that drunk and out of it, I would have gotten up and demanded my money back. I can't imagine anyone being so unprofessional and disrespectful to the people who made them famous by acting that way. I'm sure it happens more often than I care to know.

On a little different note about the show, I realized just how much my husband misses playing the trombone. The band they had was awesome and in an unusual twist one of the trombonists had a solo. I looked over at Clayton and he looked like a kid on Christmas morning. His face just lit up! I got him to admit he misses playing and want to get a trombone again someday. He's even trying to teach Andrew to "play the trombone" by showing him how to blow into a toy hose and make noise. Andrew's got it down, Dad's in trouble, and Mom's nerves are shot!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I don't get to go to concerts hardly ever, but when I pay for it, I expect a professional show!!! I guess it wouldn't surprise me for it to be that common though, beyond the Rat Pack in their day. After all, considering how often Terence ends up arresting people for DUI "on the way home from work," can I expect the high-living performers to be any different?