Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

26 November 2008

Family Fun Van

Yesterday Clayton and I decided to do something a little different with Andrew. I'd heard of this program through a friend's blog and decided to check it out. I had no idea what to expect, but was really surprised when I got there. The program is called Family Fun Van. It's a free program for kids 0-5 years old put on through the Mesa United Way. It was an hour and a half long and they do it four days a week in different locations each day in Mesa. They had open play for the first half hour. Then they provided a snack and story time. They had rec time, which was basically singing and dancing time, and then arts and craft time. They even sent every single child home with a book to read.

The whole object of the program is to provide an opportunity for parent/child interaction and to prepare each child to be kindergarten ready. We are going to start taking Andrew every week if we can. If anyone is interested in going with us, let us know. It runs from 10a-11:30a. Tues it's at a park near Power and Broadway. Wed it's at an elementary school near Ellsworth and Baseline. We'll be going Wed. next week because I've got a doc's appt. that afternoon.

I wish I had gotten pictures, but with my pregnancy brain and all, I left the camera in the car. Next week maybe!

3 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

What a great program! Definitely take advantage of it, especially if it's free! It will be great for Andrew to have "his" time, especially after the baby's born.

Heidi said...

That sounds like fun! Wish we could go too.

Christina MC said...

I had no idea that B had found our blog. I'm glad you and Andrew had fun. I had plans to go today (for the first time) but it rained and they aren't operational on rainy days, so...I'll try to catch one in the next few weeks.