Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

26 February 2009

What is "normal"?

I had my six-week postpartum check up today. I've officially been released to resume normal activity. This got me to thinking about what normal is for me now. I'm not really sure. Adding an additional family member means that my "normal" now is different than what my "normal" was pre-pregnancy. Before my pregnancy, I could pretty much go to bed whenever I wanted and get up whenever I wanted. I could exercise when I felt like it. Now I'm at the mercy of not just one toddler, but a three-year old (well next week anyway) and a newborn. I sleep when I can and have no idea how to fit exercise into my schedule. It won't be hard on the days that Clayton is home, but on the rest of the days... I just have no idea.

It's funny how we talk about being "normal" when it is such a fluid concept. It is always changing because life and our circumstances are always changing. No two days are the same. No two moments are the same. So how do we gauge what normal is?

I guess we'll find out what our family's new "normal" is. Only to have it change again in May when Clayton finishes school and is home every evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit it right on the head - life is about CHANGE! Wouldn't it be boring any other way? (I know sometimes you wish for the boring quiet life- but not for long) You truly are blessed!

Heidi said...

I'm still floundering about trying to figure out what "normal" is for our family now too. Maybe floundering is our new normal.

AlwaysMee said...

What a nice "normal" it will be to have your husban home evenings and boys to keep you going, and going, and going...

Connie said...

"Normal"...yah, right. The only "normal" I recognize from day to day is the loss of my sanity. But I wouldn't trade any of it!! I love my crazy life; it's just what Heavenly Father had in mind for us. :) PS - Please send me your mailing address, I have a little something for you! Email me - acmconstant@hotmail.com :)