Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

19 February 2009

Potty Training - The Bane of My Existence

I've decided that Andrew will be in diapers until he's in high school... At least as long as he lives at home. He just doesn't seem to care. He knows he has to go potty, but instead of going to the bathroom, he potties in his pants and then tells me he pottied. When he does go into the bathroom, about half the time he potties in his pull-ups while playing with something in the bathroom. The thing that frustrates me is that he will potty for others. He went to a friends house yesterday and was gone longer than I had figured. I didn't send any extras. I figured he'd come home either in a diaper or else soaking wet. Nope. Bone dry. 7 hours and no accidents. I don't get it. I'm sure a lot of it is his way of acting out his jealousy of Luke and the time we give him. But he's going to be 3 in two weeks. All his friends are completely potty trained. *sigh* We've tried everything. Rewards like pennies or M&Ms. Consequences like losing toys or tv time or throwing out the cool big boy undies he picked out. Nothing works. I guess he doesn't really value anything. He has no problem giving up his toys or throwing out his undies.

I'm hoping that someday he'll get it and do it. Until then... My patience is wearing thin. And so is our supply of pull-ups!

5 comments:

Josiah & Bridgette Ridley said...

My nephew was almost 4 before he potty trained, unfortunately they have to do it when they are ready! ;o) Good luck and keep up the fight!

Amy Bateman said...

Give him time. Maybe relax and do diapers for a couple of weeks. He may not like the idea of diapers and decide he's ready to be a big boy. I won't scare you by telling you how old Alex was before I finally told him he was going to be potty trained if it killed me. Based on my experience, one day it's like they wake up and decide they're ready, then it's smooth sailing. It can be very frustrating to get to that point, however.

Take a deep breath and tell yourself he won't be going to kindergarten in diapers. Even Alex was trained befor then.

Heidi said...

Ditto the advice from above! None of my kids have been potty trained before 3 (Marianne was 4.) I'm sure you wish he had it down right now, but truly, one day you'll wake up and realize that your potty training days are behind you-- with Andrew at least!

Connie said...

You've got some wise friends to rely on! :) It's true, he'll just decide one day and that'll be the end of it. Boys are stubborn like that, they like it on their time ;) Best of luck!!

Nancy said...

Valerie,
I've enjoyed reading your blog here and there the last few months. Congrats on your boys, they are so cute. Don't worry, I've never heard of anyone going on their mission in diapers. Having the new baby can be a big issue for little ones. Rebecca, was over 3 years old when I put my foot down and finally got her potty trained, I really didn't want to have 3 in diapers. When they get it they'll get it, and then still have accidents, even years later.

Enjoy your miracles, they grow up so quick. That troublesome 3 year old will be 12 this year. Where or where does the time go?

Nancy
becomingpeculiar.blogspot.com