Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

01 August 2009

The Myers' Story

My friend, Heidi, has been telling the story of how she and her husband met and their courtship. I thought it would be fun to do the same with Clayton's and my story.

Before I met Clayton, I had a few not so great experiences with men. I dated two of them for long periods of time, only for them to decide they weren't ready for a committment. Now, if they were 21, I'd understand. One was 30 and the other was 36. And as far as I know, neither one is married yet.

Anyway, I was 26 years old, a great-grandma in the LDS singles' world. I'd been in 5 singles' wards over the 8 previous 8 years. I'd earned a Bachelor's and a Master's degree and was working for a recruiting agency. I had also been serving as the president of one of the LDS Institutes of religion for singles 24-30 for a year. It is normally a one year calling, but they asked me to stay on for another year because there were going to be a lot of changes and they needed someone who knew what was going on. I agreed. I then had a change of heart and asked to be released. It had been a stressful year of no support from our sponsoring Stake, minimal council members and a lot of work. I just couldn't do it again. I called the CES advisor and he pleaded with me to at least stay on for a couple of months. I agreed, but told him I HAD to have support from the stake and they had to help me call council members. He agreed and thanked me for staying on.

As promised, I received the support I had been missing for the previous year. The Stake Presidency rep and the CES advisor both promised to talk to bishops of the University (singles) Stake to have names submitted. I received a list of three names from the University 5th ward...One of them was Clayton Myers. Bro. Dunham told me they hadn't been officially called yet, so to refrain from talking to them until I heard from him. Three weeks later and two days before our scheduled Council Retreat, I called to find out what was going on. Given the go ahead to talk to them, I started making calls. Now, during this three week period, I kept getting the impression I needed to call Clayton as one of my counselors. I didn't know him. I'd never met him. But the impression remained. I submitted his name to the CES Advisor.

So back to the retreat. I made calls and invited everyone. It would be Friday night at the Lakeside cabin of the Stake Pres. rep. It would be one night and one morning of getting to know each other, going over responsibilities and planning out the semester. When I called Clayton, he sounded really nice and was really friendly and fortunately didn't have anything going on that weekend and was going to be able to make the retreat. In that goofy girly way, I thought to myself I could plan it so we rode up to Lakeside to the retreat together and wouldn't it be funny if we stayed up half the night talking... Okay, mind you. I had just broken up with the 36 y/o after over a year of on and off dating. I had decided I didn't want to date for a while and wasn't interested in starting anything else. It was just goofy girl fantasy. (To be continued...)

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so excited to hear the rest of the story!!

Lucinda said...

Hey Valerie! Cute blog! Wow, your baby is so big!! They grow way too fast, huh? Glad to see you're doing well!

Connie said...

Ahhh, hurry up & write more - I so enjoy reading love stories! :D

Connie said...

Hey, I forgot to mention - as far as the pink eye that you were having problems with, put a few drops of breast milk in the eye a few times a day and it'll clear it up! :D