Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

04 August 2009

The Institute Retreat - The Myers' Story: Part 2

So Friday rolled around, the day we were heading to Lakeside for our Institute Council retreat. I was frantic. I had worked all day and was running around crazy after work to make sure I had everything ready to go. I even showed up in my work clothes to meet everyone else.

Clayton had asked if it was okay for him to drive himself since he wanted to go spend the rest of the weekend at his grandparents' cabin. No problem. Bro. Carroll, our High Council rep, also had his Suburban. So we got everything loaded up, had an opening prayer and started to pile into cars... well, car. I realized as I was the only one standing in the parking lot that everyone, but Clayton and me had climbed into the suburban. I didn't want Clayton to have to drive the three hours or so by himself so I said I guessed I was riding with him. Hmmm... This sounds familiar. Little did I know at the time that I had completely messed up his plans. He had wanted to drive all by himself so he could listen to whatever he wanted and not have to worry about talking to someone he didn't know for three hours. Guess I kinda messed that one up. :o)

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a nervous talker. I'll talk non-stop about anything and everything I can think of if I am nervous. Let's see. Cute boy, alone in car, three hour drive. I was like a broken record. I did finally settle down a little and we slipped into easy conversation. I came to learn that he had served his mission in Canada, Alberta. And that he had known someone I had dated. In fact, we found out that he had eaten at the same dinner table and that the guy's little sister had written to Clayton while he was on his mission and after. Had quite the little crush on one Elder Myers. What a crazy small world.

When we got to the cabin, we unloaded and settled in for an evening of get to know you games. After learning a little about each other, I talked to them about what I envisioned for the Institute Program. I looked up from reading a scripture and saw Clayton looking at me and smiling. Talk about making me nervous. I was already emotional and that just added to the chaos going through my head. We wrapped up and people started to filter off to bed. I was too wound up to sleep. I had been going non-stop all day and needed a chance to just relax. I headed for the kitchen. A few minutes later, Clayton came over and started to chat with me. Around 2am, we both decided we should get some sleep. As I crawled into bed, the light bulb popped on. Wait...did what I think just happened actually happen? It was exactly as my little girly brain had fantasized a couple of night before. We rode up alone together and stayed up half the night talking. Okay...this is a little creepy. That stuff never happens. I don't know when I finally fell asleep, but I was up by 6am. I found a great little gazebo area with a swing to get in some peaceful scripture study in the fresh mountain air. I have to admit, I spent most of the time secretly hoping Clayton would come out and join me. But to my dismay, it was one of the leaders who found me first. Clayton walked out to his car and saw me, and he says he was looking for me, but when he saw Pres. Rogers, he just kept on walking. We had our morning meetings and started loading up. I really didn't want to see Clayton go, but I decided to push it out of my mind. I didn't want to get involved with that kind of thing right now.

Clayton admitted to me later that he actually played around with the idea of inviting me with him to his grandparents', but decided I'd probably think he was a freak. So as we drove home, I got the third degree from Mandy about what she thought she saw happening between me and Clayton and got all excited about how cute we would be together... It was a long, slightly embarassing ride home.

(to be continued...)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

OK, I just attempted to leave a comment but nothing happened...odd. Hopefully this won't be a repeat. That's just too funny that your daydream came true!!! It sounds like you guys hit if off right away.