Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

30 January 2009

Sleep? What's sleep?

I knew it was going to be hard to adjust to having two kids, but when the baby has his days and nights mixed up.... Wow. I think I've averaged about three hours of sleep a night since we brought Luke home. He sleeps wonderfully during the day, when Andrew is up and wanting some love and attention. Then he sleeps fitfully all night long. And with Clayton starting back to work this week, it's been up to me to get up with the baby.
The only thing that has saved me is that I'm going to bed when Clayton gets home from work (sucks for us, but what can you do) and then after he goes to bed, I'm on baby duty. I know the whole situation is exacerbated by the fact that I'm fighting a cold (probably because of my lack of sleep) and that just makes me grumpier!
I'm still not feeling great postpartum either. My body didn't like the having the baby thing so much. I developed postpartum preeclampsia. That's finally going away, thank goodness. I normally have really low blood pressure so when it spikes to 155/105 it freaks me out a little. And my abdomen still hurts pretty good. Too much use of muscles that hadn't been used in a long time I guess. I'm starting to feel better and it's still better than what I dealt with when I had Andrew, but I'll be glad to get back to normal activity and being able to get some exercise. On a good note, I am within a pound and a half of my pre-pregnancy weight, which is great considering I gained 35lbs and I'm still fighting about 15lbs from when I had Andrew. And I'm determined to get it off. I want to get back to at least what I was when I got married... And I'd like to have that done by fall. So if anyone wants to buddy up and work on it together, I'm all for it! :o)

So here are some new pics of Luke and Andrew...
Luke Sleeping - I love to just watch him while he's sleeping peacefully...

Andrew and Luke - Andrew loves to hold Luke, for about 10 seconds. :o)

Luke - bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (thankfully not in the middle of the night)

3 comments:

The Atkinson's said...

VALERIE!!! Hes adorable. Now i need to come and hold 'em! :) Call me if you need anything!

Heidi said...

He's a cutie, that's for sure! I hear you about the lack of sleep. And I'm up for joining you in the losing weight battle. (I have to lose 30 lbs to get back to where I was when I got married....)

Amy Bateman said...

At least Andrew likes to hold Luke. Mine would get excited - until we put the baby in their laps. Then they wanted nothing to do with them. I wish I was closer and could come let you take a nap during the day or something. I'd send my Arizona sister or SIL, but they both work which wouldn't help a whole lot!