Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

14 May 2009

Surprisingly Inspired

Clayton and I decided to watch President Obama's speech last night on TV...see if he had anything to say. I still think it was a circus and quite the spectacle, but I will admit that his speech was truly inspiring. He stayed away from politics and focused on inspiring the graduates. I'm sure they weren't the only ones inspired.

He encouraged graduates to get away from what has become the formulas for success that seem to dominate at this time: fancy cars, big offices, being on some "who's who" list, etc. Instead of seeking out to be popular and recognized, he challenged them to work hard, to make a difference, to change the world even if it is only the world of one person. He spoke of pioneers coming west, a preacher leading a bus boycott for justice, police and firefighters willing to run up the steps of burning towers, people volunteering their time and resources to help flood victims in New Orleans. People who followed their passions and, in so doing, changed the world and the way we view it. He spoke of continuing to build your body of work, which is not complete by accomplishing one task. He told of Thomas Paine who was a failed corset maker, teacher, and tax collector before writing "Common Sense" and igniting a revolution; Julia Child who didn't publish her first cook book until she was almost fifty; Colonel Sanders who didn't open his first KFC until he was in his sixties.

One of the things he spoke of that really stood out to me is how our current national situation was created by selfishness and greed. the "what's in it for me" syndrome. That in order to truly make a mark on our lives, others lives, this country and our world we must put that aside. We must be selfless and focus on others.

His speech made me look at my life. What am I doing to make a difference? I'm raising two boys who will be part of the future of our world. But what else? Really, probaby not much. I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities to make a difference. But I haven't sought them out. Am I volunteering my time to good causes? Am I trying to make a difference in my community? Am I reaching out to my neighbors? Looking at it through the Gospel...am I really doing all I can do? Am I seeking out the sisters I visit teach, to befriend them, to love them? Am I fulfilling my calling to the best of my abilities? Am I trusting in the Lord and His path for me? Am I reaching out to those who may be struggling, whether it be financially, physically, emotionally or spiritually? Am I looking for those who need a friend? Am I trying to be more Christ-like? Am I a true disciple? These are questions that I really need to ponder, taking a hard look at my life and what I'm doing with it.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm glad you were inspired. I, too, keep pondering if I'm doing enough of the "best" stuff with my time, the things that matter eternally.