Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

29 April 2011

Introducing....

Okay, so I'm a little slow getting this up.  The adjustment to having three kids is kicking me in the behind right now.



Matthew Thomas Myers
Born April 14, 2011 at 5:05pm
8lbs. 12 oz., 21 1/4 inches long

I went in for induction at 9am on the 14th.  Started at 3cm dialated so I had a good start.  I've always responded well to induction (this is my 3rd).  Got me going and things progressed nicely.  At 4pm, I was at 6cm.  They let my Dr. know it was probably going to be a couple of hours.  At 4:45pm, they decided to check me again and I was fully transitioned and ready to push.  She had me do one small push to help get the baby down since he was still riding high.  Worked great.  The nurse was going to hold off and let my Dr. finish his afternoon appointments.  No big deal here.  I'd hate to be the one with a 4:45pm appointment that had to wait until 6pm to see the Dr. because he ran off to the hospital when he didn't really have to.  Around 5pm, the nurse came in and wanted to have me push once to see where I was.  When my next contraction started, I took a deep breath to push and just when I was going to start pushing, the nurse yelled, "Stop!  Don't push!!"  Uh, okay!?  There she was with only one glove on and the baby's head halfway out.  She was going to hold him in until the Dr. got there, but the baby's heartrate disappeared from the monitor.  She called for help.  Three other nurses came running in.  Kelleigh (my nurse) put on a second glove and let the baby come on out.  Yep, that's right.  He arrived without me doing any real pushing.  Guess he was in a hurry.  Good thing they didn't wait either.  He was just a tad on the blue side when he arrived.  Within 5 minutes, he was perfectly pink and healthy though.  The good Dr. arrived about 10-15 minutes after the baby did...flushed and embarassed that he hadn't gotten there in time.  Not that any of us could have imagined the baby coming on his own like he did.  He was a little embarassed about misjudging the baby's size, too.  He didn't figure Matthew was going to be as big as my other two.  He missed being the biggest by .5 oz. 

From induction start time to delivery was just over 6 1/2 hours.  Not too shabby, I'd say.  Luke was just over 10 hours and Andrew was just over 12 hours. 

The boys are excited for a baby brother, but have been thwarted in their attempts to bond with the baby.  Luke had some kind of respiratory infection and Clayton had to take him to the Dr. while I was still in the hospital.  Then Andrew developed pink eye.  It's probably not a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.  They are both awfully rough and this will give Matthew a little more time to gain some strength before he gets mauled.  :o)

Matthew had been doing his best sleeping during the day and was up most of the night the first week.  Thank goodness Clayton was home to help me out.  But he's been sleeping better at night this week...thank goodness.  He's a pretty happy baby.  He only cries when he's cold, wet, or hungry - of course, he's hungry a LOT!  He LOVES having his hair washed under the faucet.  And he's got a headfull, let me tell you. 

I'll post more pictures...hopefully this weekend while Clayton is home to help wrangle the boys.

2 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Congratulations on Matthew's safe arrival. I laughed at your birth story since it is very close to mine with Alex. Must be something about 3rd babies being too eager to wait for the doctor to get there.

Heidi said...

How nice that Matthew just wanted to come out on his own!! My third labor was my longest-- 26 hours to get from 6 cm dilated until she was born. And she was my natural one. Yuck. (But they didn't want to hurry her out since I was just barely 36 weeks as it was.)

Glad that he's sleeping better for you-- one of the hardest adjustments when you have older kids is when you can't get any sleep at night nor during the day!!

I wish I could be some help-- I'm not functioning well for my own family at the moment though. Ugh. Still, I'm glad to hear from you and keep us posted!