Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

21 January 2010

Second Child

I'm a little frustrated right now.  I don't know if this is normal, but it seems like my second child isn't as special as the first and therefore doesn't get half of what the first one did.

When I had my first, I had two baby showers thrown for me.  For my second, no one even offered.  When my first was born, everyone came to the hospital and family flew in from out of state, bringing flowers, balloons, and a giant Winnie the Pooh that he loves.  With my second, half the people came, none from out of state, and he has not one stuffed animal for him to love.  When my first turned 1, everyone came to his party.  When my second turned 1, there was a quickly planned wedding that could have been scheduled for pretty much anytime, but "had" to be scheduled the weekend after his birthday, pushing off the party...that no one seems to be able to make.

I don't feel like I can scrapbook the first's baby showers because I don't want to have to try to explain to the second why there aren't any pictures because there weren't any baby showers for him.  Or even the pictures from the hospital because I'll have to explain why there are no flowers, balloons or anything celebrating his birth.  And now it's the 1st birthdays that will have to be left out.

My second, even if he is my second boy, should be treated as if he's just as special as the first was, but for some reason, he's not.  It's as if him being the second boy makes him not as unique or special or deserving.

Okay, enough of my rantings. 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I know, things are definitely different for the younger sibs-- I have literally only a handful of pictures of Jared his first year, while Marianne has her own photo album full of baby pics. If it's any consolation, by the time Andrew's older, he'll be complaining that his younger sibling gets so much more attention than he does, so it kind of evens out. At least that's the way it works in this house.

(As for the shower thing, that's actually pretty normal. You only get a shower for the first, unless it's been a very long time since your other child. In some places it's a serious social faux pas to have a shower for a second or later child.)

Connie said...

I totally understand too. Poor Livvy isn't special at all. haha She didn't get a shower, flowers, balloons, but she might get a birthday party, we'll see how that goes. haha But in reality, what's most important is that she grows up knowing that her mommy, daddy & siblings love her just as much as everyone else is loved. And your boys honestly won't care if he has a scrapbook or not...it's the girls that you'll have to work harder to get pictures of! :)

Josiah & Bridgette Ridley said...

Hey Girl - at least I'm not included in the bunch that missed him (& you) in the hosptial. I was at his blessing too! Whew, glad you're not talking about me.

I would have been at the b-day party had I been in town, you know me I'd be there and in the middle of everything. Still sorry I missed it! ;o)

prashant said...

he'll be complaining that his younger sibling gets so much more attention than he does, so it kind of evens out. At least that's the way it works in this house.
data entry india