Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

25 July 2011

First day of Kindergarten

I can't believe this day is here.  My little boy is now a kindergartener.  He's been so excited to start school for over a year now.  All of his friends from his first year of preschool started school last year.  He has asked probably a thousand times if he was going to kindergarten.  And the day is finally here.

I have to admit, I've been looking forward to this day for a while, too.  Andrew is an incredibly intelligent little boy who needs near constant entertainment and challenge or he gets in a lot of mischief.  And that usually involves making his little brother scream bloody murder.  I walked him to his classroom, we got to the door and he said, "Bye, mom."  He wasn't even going to let me walk him in.  I did anyway.  No tears for either of us.  Of course, we were running crazy.  We had loaded up the car for everyone to go only to find the battery on the mini-van dead.  So I had to move him to the car and take off like a shot.  When we got to the school, we had to part in a dirt lot because the parking lot was overflowing with parents dropping their kids off for the first day.  I was just glad I got him to class on time.

I worried a lot about him starting kindergarten because the kid's really smart.  He's been reading for over a year now.  He picks up things so quickly.  He memorized his Articles of Faith in about 3 months.  I know he knows pretty much everything he's learn in kindergarten.  Do I test him into 1st grade?  He's on the young end since his birthday is in March.  I was afraid he'd be ready intellectually, but not emotionally.  I went to meet the teacher hoping he'd have a good one.  She's new to teaching kindergarten as his school so I knew nothing about her.  I told her about Andrew and she said not to worry.  She'd make sure he's challenged if that means pulling out 1st grade standards and sending home more challenging homework.  I think we got the teacher we needed.

The house is a lot quieter today.  Luke pretty well entertains himself.  Matthew loves spending time in his jumper.  If only I felt better (I've got a little cold) this day would be awesome!  I'm so excited for my little guy. 

Since I'm so far behind, here are some pics of the kiddos!
Andrew and Luke playing swordfighting on the Wii.

Matthew sleeping...So cute!

Andrew passed off all 13 Articles fo Faith.  He got a big chocolate bar and a certificate for it.
Matthew in his jumper.

Luke and Matthew

All my boys. 
Andrew and Matthew.

A little bit of tummy time!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sounds like you had a breather today!! I hope Andrew continues to enjoy it! I liked when Marianne was in kindergarten, it gave me a much needed respite, and it was fun to see how excited she was about learning new stuff!