Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

26 December 2009

The Season of Gift Giving

I'm one of those people who likes to believe that no matter what our circumstances, we always have a chance at a new beginning in our lives. We can start right now to change something or improve ourselves to make our lives happier. Now I don't really go with "New Year's Resolutions", but I do sit down each year and map out a list of goals for me to work on through the year. Then I try to review them every couple of months to see how I've been doing. In the past, those goals have included paying off debt, finishing schooling, reading books, improving my spiritual progress, working on relationships with people and many others.

This year I decided to think of it in a different way. For our Relief Society Enrichment, they had each of the sisters write a gift for our Savior on a piece of paper and put it in a stocking to hang on the tree. As I've thought about this, I've decided to change my perspective on my new beginnings. Instead of setting "goals", I'm going to make a list of gifts I want to offer...to my Savior, my loved ones and myself. For example, a gift to the Savior may be to offer more sincere and diligent prayers. Or to give the gift of time to your children. Or to set aside a little time for yourself to do the things that will rejuvenate you and fill your cup.

I have only started the process of making out my "Gift" list. As I ponder over the things that I need to improve upon, instead of thinking what I am going to get out of each one, I want to look at it as how can I give something. I do have items on my list already to give to others, but I also feel it's important to do things for ourselves. If my cup is empty, I cannot give to those who are most important to me. So I will work on filling my own cup as I fill the cups of those most important to me.

I encourage each of you to think of "Gifts" you can give to those most important in your life. And please remember to put yourself on the list.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Good thoughts!! I never considered it from the gift point of view.

AlwaysMee said...

awesome Valerie!!! Thanks for sharing!!!