Don't count the hours in the day. Make the hours in the day count.

"All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next gneration their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams." - General Colin L. Powell

12 November 2009

Leaving Your Mark

So, anyone who knew me back in my glory days of high school would tell you I was relatively shy, stuck pretty much to my own little group of friends, and tended to blend in with the wall. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't anything else either. I just was. I got along with pretty well everyone, but didn't really have a huge circle of friends. And to be honest, I didn't think I would have had a lasting impression on anyone. I learned otherwise yesterday.

I got an email from a woman that I went to high school with. It was a simple, short email. The subject heading was "Thank you!" It went on to say how this person was grateful for me doing all the work when we were science lab partners because she didn't and couldn't understand what was going on. And how much she admired my ability to grasp the concepts and help her out with them.

Now, I have to admit, I only vaguely remember her being my lab partner in Chemistry my junior year nearly 16 years and half my lifetime ago. I have no recollection of doing all the work or really of grasping it all that well. Chemistry involves a lot of math and I'm not very good at math. It didn't mean enough to me for me to remember it. But it must have meant something to her. Her thank you made my day. I've been feeling pretty lousy the past week or so. That little thank you shone a bright ray of sunshine into my day.

This just testified to me of how important it is to act as a disciple of Christ at all time and in all things because I never know who may be watching or listening to me. Something that I think is unimportant may leave a lasting impression on someone. So my challenge to myself, and to all of you, is to be the best person you can each and every day. Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect. Let your light so shine that others will see the image of the Lord in your countenance. And to thank the people in your life who have meant something to you or impacted your life in some way, no matter how long ago it was. We all need to know that what we do makes a difference, even if it was something so simple that we don't remember it.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That is so cool that she wrote to thank you. Those kind of things truly make your day!!!

I agree that it is important to act Christlike in all places and at all times, I just wish it wasn't so hard :-) But I'm going to try to be better...

As for thanking people, I'll start with you! Thanks, Valerie, for being my friend when I first moved into the ward. I'm so glad we were VT companions because with you I felt like I'd finally put down a few new roots in my new ward. It meant a lot to me during that difficult transition!